Fort Warwick is located on Deer Creek in Green Bank, Pocahontas County, West Virginia. This militia fort was built in 1774, by George Moffatts’ and George Matthews’ companies. Militia trained here before marching west where they took part in the Battle of Point Pleasant. The fort was a functional frontier refuge until the end of the Revolutionary War in 1783. Many seasons of archaeology have provided information about the fort. The modern farm includes maple syrup production.
There will be sire tours, and maple syrup and candy, t-shirts, and hats and historical booklets for purchase. The museum includes artifacts and displays from previous archaeology. Archaeologists Dr. W. Stephen McBride and Dr. Kim Arbogast McBride will lead excavations on May 14. Contact Dr. Kim A. McBride at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot to participate in archaeology. Some spots may be available for excavation “walk-ons.” Visitors are welcome.
Contact Bob Sheets at email@example.com or 304-456-4815 for tour information, or visit us on Facebook.
DIRECTIONS: Address is 450 Fort Warwick Passage, Green Bank, WV 24944
From Route 28/92, just North of concrete bridge over Deer Creek, turn west and go behind the Church of God, see Fort Warwick sign, follow the gravel road to the museum.