Jobs & Employment
Do you love Pocahontas County? Do you love adventure in Nature’s Mountain Playground, our pristine rivers, rolling mountains and charming small towns?
Do you dream of moving to Pocahontas County, WV? Tourism is a wonderful industry, with plenty of opportunities in the Pocahontas County area, to build a long-term, fun and lasting career.
Browse our job and employment listing below, and you may just relocate to beautiful Pocahontas County, WV!
Job Title: Trail Maintenance Crew Technician
Duration(Season): April – October 2024
Job Location: Monongahela National Forest; Pocahontas County, West Virginia; Marlinton, WV; Snowshoe, WV
Salary Range: The hiring range for this position is $14-15/hour DOE Deadline for Applications: Position open until March 18,2023
Snowshoe Highlands Area Recreation Collaborative has worked with local stakeholders to identify necessary trail maintenance in a variety of areas including; sustainable trail maintenance and construction while practicing environmental stewardship. Applicants are expected to be able to carry tools and daily provisions to worksites +5 miles in Backcountry territory. Varying weather and often uneven terrain can make for a dangerous worksite; following safety protocols will be expected of crew members. Training will be provided for clarification of Standard Operating Procedures; applicants who possess 2+ Years of relevant experience are highly desired. Applicants shall have identified and secured housing arrangements in the Pocahontas County, WV area BEFORE official date of entry to be considered for employment.
Primary projects will include water mitigation, dry-stone masonry, tread reconstruction or rerouting, weed-eating, leaf blowing, and pruning foliage on singletrack trail systems in Pocahontas county and surrounding areas. Applicants should be proficient with hand-tools and comfortable operating power tools. Positions are seasonal; however members can be evaluated for potential further employment based on season performance and availability.
– +2 Years of Relevant Experience
- First Aid/CPR
- Mountain Biker
- Drivers License
- High School Diploma/GED
- Proficient in use of smartphone technology, digital cameras, and GPS devices
- Have backcountry wilderness, hiking, or camping experience or other relevant undeveloped forest experience
- Possess ability to troubleshoot minor technology issues in the field
- Desire to progress in conservation and trail building career field
Schedule: 4, 10-hour days with some variability dependent on weather and special events
Supervisory Responsibilities: Not Applicable
Crew Member Expectations:
- Communication with other crew members and crew leaders; identifying safety hazards, awareness of daily plans, and participation in daily tailgate talks.
- Knowledge of hand tools and proper use.
- Timeliness & preparedness
- Willingness to grow and progress skills
- Carry up to 50lbs.
- Walk +5 miles with tools, food, & water.
- Complete tasks per request of leadership.
- Act as subordinate to the designated Trail Maintenance Crew Lead
- Appear at the Job Site at the expected time.
- Prepared for a day of physical activity; plenty of nutrients and water.
- If crew members need medications; health concerns shall be disclosed with the crew leader.
- Proper work attire
- Dependable 8-inch Lace-Up Boots
- Ankle High Socks
- Long Pants
- Torso layers for variable weather
- Dependable Rain Coat
PCCVB is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any group or individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability in regards to any aspect of employment policy and practice: recruitment, testing, selection, assignment, pay, conditions of work, training, leave, overtime, promotion, discipline, demotion, and separation.
Those interested in applying should email their resume to Charles Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org
Snowshoe Mountain Resort – multiple openings:
Green Bank Observatory – multiple openings:
Summer is just around the corner and GBO still has a couple of Observatory job opportunities open. Please pass these postings on to your friends and family!
All current postings may be viewed at the GBO website: Green Bank Jobs
Pocahontas County Schools – Multiple Openings
Pocahontas Memorial Hospital – Multiple Openings
Monongahela National Forest – Multiple Openings
(Search for ‘WV’ in search bar to narrow to the Monongahela National Forest)